God is quite alert to the war that is being waged on marriages today. That is why I know He will be faithful in not only hearing but answering these powerful prayers for your marriage.
Before I give you these powerful prayers, I want to discuss the importance of prayer as a whole.
When troubles arise, we are quick to search for books on overcoming the issue, seeking counseling to deal with the issue, but prayer. Well. That is often our last resort.
Dear sisters, it should be our first line of defense!
Powerful Prayers for Marriage
Can Christian devotionals, Christian counseling or talking with your pastor about the problems help? Absolutely!
But turning in prayer to our heavenly Father should be the main weapon we choose to battle an attack on our marriage.
Satan will do everything he can to disrupt and hopefully (in his mind) destroy your marriage and your family.
This is spiritual, not physical
We are not battling the physical realm; therefore, we need to put on our spiritual armor. Ephesians 6:10-18 tells us that by putting on the armor of God we will be able to stand against Satan’s schemes.
Ladies, we need to take up this armor DAILY.
We are told furthermore to “pray at all times in the Spirit”, meaning we keep close to God, so we are alert, and the power of the Holy Spirit remains ready to help us fight.
Powerful prayers draw us near to the Father, makes us more like Jesus and allows God to speak to our hearts that we may better know His heart.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 says we are to “pray continually”. Romans 12:12 reminds us to be “faithful in prayer”. And Philippians 4:6 admonishes us to not be anxious, but to pray about everything.
The more time we spend in prayer the easier it is to hear God’s will. It softens us, allowing us to be more compassionate and grant mercy to those around us. Even when we don’t feel they deserve it. Even when they have hurt us.
Prayer makes us wise as we learn more about the mind of God. Our thinking becomes more aligned with His. Additionally, it grows our trust in Him, especially when we see those prayers answered.
Prayer is not just a main line of defense; it is one of the prime ways we communicate with our Lord.
The following powerful prayers are ones I have used in my own marriage and I assure you they work!
Powerful Marriage Prayers
- Conflict – Proverbs 15:18 Jesus, you have dealt with us in love and mercy, gently wooing us to what is the good and perfect will of God. Let my husband and I exercise self-control with one another and not speak in haste or anger. Confusion and chaos are of the enemy, so we ask your forgiveness for allowing discord, bitterness and worry into our home. Replace our quarreling spirits with ones of meekness and compassion for one another.
Don’t let us be distracted by arguments. We know this is a scheme of the devil. Let the Holy Spirit prompt us to leave the conflict with you and seek your word for an answer. Lord, we give you our concerns knowing you can well handle them and make a way for us to move forward in love.
2. Unity – Ephesians 4:2-3 Lord, the devil would like nothing better than to divide my spouse and I keeping us from covenant and unity with one another and with you. Let us practice humbleness and patience with one another. May we handle each other in love as your word commands.
Let us seek unity as a binding spirit over us to bring peace within our hearts and home. Thank you for the guiding wisdom of your word. Let my husband and I be one in every decision we face. May we surrender to your strength, that our union may be a testimony for your glory.
3. Protection and Discernment – 1 Peter 5:8-9 and Psalm 119:66 Father, there are many people who see marriage through a worldly lens and their ideas threaten to shape our actions and thoughts towards one another. Protect our minds that we may hear clearly from you and distinguish the truth from a lie. Give us discernment over all areas of our lives that we may choose the right things, the good things, according to your will for us.
Let us be sensible to know when our thoughts and your word do not line up. May we carefully study every choice and judgement before we act. We commit to being submitted to you for guidance, direction and necessary change in our lives. We want to live fully under your kingdom plan.
4. Overcoming the Enemy – Ecclesiastes 4:12 Lord, you have told us the enemy comes to seek, to kill and to destroy. However, we do not fear! You have also told us in your word that a “threefold cord is not quickly broken”. Hand in hand, with you at our center, God we can overcome the enemy! By your authority and power of the Holy Spirit in us, we invite your presence into our hearts, our home and our family to rule and reign over us.
In every area of our life, be the bridge to mend any division. Let your love bring about perfect peace within us. Make us alert to Satan’s schemes and capture any thought that is not of you before it can work its negative ways in our home.
5. Spiritual Growth – Colossians 1: 9-10 We are so blessed Jesus to be chosen as part of your family and your plan for mankind. Continue to reveal to us your glory and grace through the reading and hearing of your word. May our minds be transformed by you to be more Christ-like so we may grasp your great love for us.
Help us apply these concepts to our marriage, that we may be “doers of the word”. May we live in a way that is pleasing to you. Let us seek your desires for us and not our own. Impart to us understanding of your word so that we may disciple others. When people see us, let them see you God.
6. Forgiveness – Colossians 3:12-13 God, your word tells us we must be forgiving of one another as Jesus has forgiven us. We may not fail in the same way as our spouse, but we are not without need for forgiveness. Therefore, we do not have the right to hold our spouse’s offenses against them. Let us deal with our spouse with kindness and compassion.
Don’t let bitterness or anger take root in us, but let gentleness prevail. Father, please move in my spouse’s heart that he also will be forgiving of me. Where there is sin in either of us, bring it forward that we may repent and be forgiven by you Jesus. You know already. Give us strength and wisdom to turn from it.
7. Thankfulness – Psalm 138:1 God you have given us so much. I stand in awe at your unending love and mercy for us. Saying thank you does not seem enough. Let us live each day in a spirit of thankfulness in all that we do and everywhere we go.
Even when our situation threatens to overwhelm us, let us turn to you in thanksgiving. Every day is a chance to start fresh with you knowing we are no longer slaves. We are free in you! Thank you for loving us without conditions. Let us love one another in this way. Let us not take for granted the opportunities to do good in your name. May your praise be ever on our lips.
Be fervent in prayer
In the thick of battle, with arrows coming from every side, it is easy to lose sight of the victory we know is ours. Use these 7 powerful prayers daily to storm heaven for the protection of your marriage. Use them to battle for restoration and healing.
The war may wage for a season or seasons in your life. It does not last forever though friend. In God’s timing, you will reap a reward if you are consistent in your prayer life.
*If you are struggling with an abusive situation, please get appropriate assistance from authorities for the safety of yourself and your children.
About Ammie Black
Ammie Black is a writer, blogger, leader and trainer with a passion for helping women to live life Christ-centered. She lives in Cape Coral, Florida with her husband of 21 years and their two “furbabies. Sharing God’s truths to encourage and inspire women in their everyday lives is the goal of her ministry, thus the blog name Ammie’s Heart. You can also connect with Ammie on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
For amazing advice from Christian marriage experts on how to have a thriving marriage, see this post.